“We are so grateful to have wonderful UP looking out for us and putting together amazing amounts of information to help us understand 'the process' and cope with the trials and tribulations!"
Reno, NV - Wildfire Claim Help
Free Insurance Claim Help through the UP Roadmap to Recovery™ Program
United Policyholders is a national non-profit that has been helping guide disaster victims on the road to recovery since 1991. UP offers tips and info from previous disaster survivors and from experts on insurance claims, legal matters and the rebuilding/repair process. We also offer educational workshops and long term recovery services after natural disasters (subject to funding and community support).
Roadmap to Recovery Tools
If your home or rental has been damaged or destroyed and you would like any of the free tools listed below, e-mail a current mailing address to email@example.com, fill out a Recovery Tool Request form, or call our San Francisco office at: (415) 393-9990.
- The Disaster Recovery Handbook/Household Inventory Guide: Since 2006 "The Disaster Recovery Handbook and Household Inventory Guide" has been a trusted book that's led thousands of people through the process of overcoming obstacles to repairing and rebuilding after a major loss. The book is written in plain language by disaster survivors for disaster survivors with tips and expert advice from legal, insurance and personal finance professionals.
- The Roadmap to Recovery Organizer Kit: includes the essential tools for staying organized and recovering financially from serious property damage or loss. Each kit contains a diary/notebook, essential tips and guidance, business card holders, a pouch for receipts and a messenger bag.
- Home Inventory Flashdrives: Most disaster survivors must prepare an itemized and detailed inventory list of every single item they lost in order to recover insurance monies and/or claim tax losses. Creating this inventory is one of the most challenging and time-consuming tasks survivors must complete on the road to recovery. To ease this burden, UP created a home inventory flash drive that's pre-loaded with helpful content and is easy to use.
• Claim Tips (Use website search feature or home page buttons to find topics you need)
• Sample letters/Sample forms to help document your loss and get paid in full and on time
Confidential Support from Previous Disaster Survivors
Confidential emotional support, insurance and rebuilding tips from previous catastrophic loss victims/survivors through the United Policyholders Disaster Survivor Support Network. For more information and/or to receive a list of and contact info for available mentors, please contact UP Outreach Coordinator Karen Reimus at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Confidential Answers to Individual Questions
The forum is an easy and safe way to ask direct questions to attorneys, claims professionals and previous disaster survivors who serve as UP volunteers and get the answers you need. The expert doesn't see your contact info, but you can contact them if you want to follow up on their answer. To join the forum, please write "forum invite" in the subject line and email: email@example.com.
Roadmap to Recovery™ educational workshop series
Each program features expert speakers and/or previous disaster survivors guiding survivors through the post-disaster recovery process. The topics follow the general Roadmap to Recovery curriculum but are adapted to address local conditions and issues. Please contact UP at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. This service is subject to funding and community support. Meeting will be posted on this page.