I just called the CA Insurance commission to ask about section 2051.5 in regards to rebuilding after a partial loss fire. They said this section only applies to "open" policies, for items such as cargo loads for trucks. They said it does not apply to residential property insurance because homeowners insurance usually has a cap. They said that residential homeowners insurance is only covered under section 10101. Is that true? I've read the legal opinions and they seem to say that 2051.5 applies, but perhaps those were all these for policies without limits? Thank you.

About The Expert

Amy Bach

Amy Bach has been a professional advocate for insurance policyholders since 1984 and an attorney since 1989. She co-founded United Policyholders in 1991 and serves as the organization's Executive Director and primary spokesperson; shaping and overseeing the Roadmap to Recovery™, Roadmap to Preparedness, and Advocacy and Action programs. She is a nationally recognized expert on insurance claim and legal matters; frequently interviewed in print and broadcast media, and the author of numerous publications including "The Disaster Recovery Handbook", "WISE UP: The Savvy Consumer's Guide to Buying Insurance" and consumer tips and guides in the UP Claim Help Library.  Recognized by Money Magazine as a Money Hero, Bach is in her eighth consecutive term as an official consumer representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and is a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.