Hi. I'm at a stand still trying to get documents from my mortgage company to no avail for almost a year now. I came across an insurance check for a policy I paid for and damages in which I had repaired. The check was misplaced in my moving after the house was foreclosed. I need the mortgage company to provide either a satisfaction of mortgage or final judgement so that I can continue on with the process of getting the funds redeemed from the check. I don't care if they keep it, as long as it is applied to the balance, if there is a balance, but I won't know if they don't send the documents. What can I do?

About The Expert

Amy Bach

Amy Bach has been a professional advocate for insurance policyholders since 1984 and an attorney since 1989. She co-founded United Policyholders in 1991 and serves as the organization's Executive Director and primary spokesperson; shaping and overseeing the Roadmap to Recovery™, Roadmap to Preparedness, and Advocacy and Action programs. She is a nationally recognized expert on insurance claim and legal matters; frequently interviewed in print and broadcast media, and the author of numerous publications including "The Disaster Recovery Handbook", "WISE UP: The Savvy Consumer's Guide to Buying Insurance" and consumer tips and guides in the UP Claim Help Library.  Recognized by Money Magazine as a Money Hero, Bach is in her eighth consecutive term as an official consumer representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and is a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.  In 2019, Bach was appointed to a 3 year term as a member of the American Bar Association Standing Committee on Disaster Preparedness and Response.