Our home was severely damaged by fire July 30, 2015. Our home is and remains uninhabitable. Our adjuster (contracted) informed us we can get a advancement to use for living expenses we were happy to get it. Now our adjuster informed us that the advancement came out of our personal property claim not our ALE. Is this common practice and how can we fight this? We have receipts to support where and what the money went towards and that it was used for additional living expenses.

About The Expert

Amy Bach

Amy Bach has been a professional advocate for insurance policyholders since 1984 and an attorney since 1989. She co-founded United Policyholders in 1991 and serves as the organization's Executive Director and primary spokesperson; shaping and overseeing the Roadmap to Recovery™, Roadmap to Preparedness, and Advocacy and Action programs. She is a nationally recognized expert on insurance claim and legal matters; frequently interviewed in print and broadcast media, and the author of numerous publications including "The Disaster Recovery Handbook", "WISE UP: The Savvy Consumer's Guide to Buying Insurance" and consumer tips and guides in the UP Claim Help Library.  Recognized by Money Magazine as a Money Hero, Bach is in her eighth consecutive term as an official consumer representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and is a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.