A neighbors' house was severely damaged by fire. Their fire also caused substantive damage to my house - although not to such a serious extent. However, their clean-up was sub-standard and to this day their house remains in damaged condition. It is vacant - basically abandoned as no is living there despite the original owners having sold the fire/water damaged house - smell/mold etc. My own insurance company advised me that they would only pay for the repairs once - despite the fact that they understand that the repairs will need to be made again when the house next door is either torn down or repaired. The increasingly deteriorating condition of the neighbor's house has continued to adversely affect my home for almost a year now. I needed to find another place to live with my family, including large dogs. It was impossible to find a place in the city with the dogs. By chance I have a 2nd home about an hour away which I had been renting. It seemed most expeditious and comfortable to relocate there for this time period of repair. My question is, how best may I get reimbursed for my living expenses during this time period? Since I own both homes there is no rental as such - however, I am losing rental income from the second home. I do have other questions, but this is the most pressing at the moment. I hope this is a clear enough explanation of the situation. Thanks so very much.

About The Expert

William Hedden

William Hedden is President and CEO of Consolidated Adjusting, Inc, a public insurance adjusting firm. In 1991, he became a licensed Public Insurance Adjuster with the California Department of Insurance. He is also a licensed real estate broker and a licensed B-1 general contractor in the State of California. He earned a law degree from Hastings College of Law and was admitted to the State Bar of California in 1979. Mr. Hedden served on United Policyholders' Board from 1997-2016.