I hired a structural engineer on my own to determine if the extreme flooding our home endured had caused any structural damage to our foundation (we already knew something was wrong as we had a hump and a sag in the floor that was not there prior to the flood). The insurance company is now sending out an engineer from a company they have hired. Should I furnish this engineer with a copy of the report from my engineer? Also, should I request my own structural engineer to be present for this inspection(it will cost me more money)?
New Jersey

About The Expert

Amy Bach

Amy Bach has been a professional advocate for insurance policyholders since 1984 and an attorney since 1989. She co-founded United Policyholders in 1991 and serves as the organization's Executive Director and primary spokesperson; shaping and overseeing the Roadmap to Recovery™, Roadmap to Preparedness, and Advocacy and Action programs. She is a nationally recognized expert on insurance claim and legal matters; frequently interviewed in print and broadcast media, and the author of numerous publications including "The Disaster Recovery Handbook", "WISE UP: The Savvy Consumer's Guide to Buying Insurance" and consumer tips and guides in the UP Claim Help Library.  Recognized by Money Magazine as a Money Hero, Bach is in her eighth consecutive term as an official consumer representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and is a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.