In 2005, my home experience some minor flooding from Hurricane Katrina. The water damaged our wood floors and the insurance company gave us a check made out to us and our insurance company for 30k. We had the floors fixed and the mortgage company sent an adjuster for approval. Now Hurricane Issac caused minor water damage to the floors. Before our adjuster will submit any work to our insurance company, he is asking for proof that we repaired the floors from the previous claim. I did not keep the receipts because that storm was over seven years ago, and he is stating that he can not process any paper work until I have proof that we repaired the floors. I have contacted our mortgage company who is searching archives for the paper work to give to the adjuster. My question is, can the insurance company withhold payment until it receives these documents?

About The Expert

Amy Bach

Amy Bach has been a professional advocate for insurance policyholders since 1984 and an attorney since 1989. She co-founded United Policyholders in 1991 and serves as the organization's Executive Director and primary spokesperson; shaping and overseeing the Roadmap to Recovery™, Roadmap to Preparedness, and Advocacy and Action programs. She is a nationally recognized expert on insurance claim and legal matters; frequently interviewed in print and broadcast media, and the author of numerous publications including "The Disaster Recovery Handbook", "WISE UP: The Savvy Consumer's Guide to Buying Insurance" and consumer tips and guides in the UP Claim Help Library.  Recognized by Money Magazine as a Money Hero, Bach is in her eighth consecutive term as an official consumer representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and is a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.