I am case managing a Superstorm Sandy survivor in NJ. His home sustained major damage from the storm and is in need of repair. His homeowners insurance company has disappeared after providing a small settlement and he is now pursuing a legal solution. In the meantime, he's applied for a state grant to help repair the home but that also requires proof of homeowner's insurance. My client has called various companies to purchase new insurance but has been told that he won't be able to get a policy until the home repairs are done. Is there any way to approach an insurance company to provide the needed insurance in order to complete the needed repairs?
New Jersey

About The Expert

Amy Bach

Amy Bach has been a professional advocate for insurance policyholders since 1984 and an attorney since 1989. She co-founded United Policyholders in 1991 and serves as the organization's Executive Director and primary spokesperson; shaping and overseeing the Roadmap to Recovery™, Roadmap to Preparedness, and Advocacy and Action programs. She is a nationally recognized expert on insurance claim and legal matters; frequently interviewed in print and broadcast media, and the author of numerous publications including "The Disaster Recovery Handbook", "WISE UP: The Savvy Consumer's Guide to Buying Insurance" and consumer tips and guides in the UP Claim Help Library.  Recognized by Money Magazine as a Money Hero, Bach is in her eighth consecutive term as an official consumer representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and is a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.  In 2019, Bach was appointed to a 3 year term as a member of the American Bar Association Standing Committee on Disaster Preparedness and Response.