An insured motorist ran into my 1960's Rambler. Damage includes shifting of house on I-beam by ~1 inch, block damage on impact side requiring removal, cracks in mortal on opposite side, ceiling, cracks at doors, scratch on laminate flooring, etc... My problem: I am working with my insurance and they are responsive but does not want to meet until I find a contractor. The contractors they recommend wont provide scope of work as they want to work with adjuster to come up with scope. I dont want to hire someone that is not in congruence with my ideas of scope. I feel that I don’t want to argue with both my contractor and the adjuster. Am I out of line in this thinking? Am I being paranoid? Also, is it out of line to ask to see current working job site as well as references? How about expecting return emails in a timely fashion? Am I setting my bar too high?

About The Expert

Amy Bach

Amy Bach has been a professional advocate for insurance policyholders since 1984 and an attorney since 1989. She co-founded United Policyholders in 1991 and serves as the organization's Executive Director and primary spokesperson; shaping and overseeing the Roadmap to Recovery™, Roadmap to Preparedness, and Advocacy and Action programs. She is a nationally recognized expert on insurance claim and legal matters; frequently interviewed in print and broadcast media, and the author of numerous publications including "The Disaster Recovery Handbook", "WISE UP: The Savvy Consumer's Guide to Buying Insurance" and consumer tips and guides in the UP Claim Help Library.  Recognized by Money Magazine as a Money Hero, Bach is in her eighth consecutive term as an official consumer representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and is a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.