Fire loss October 2, 2014 El Dorado County, Somerset (Large Loss) On a second home what are we allowed? We estimate that we use this vacation home about 74 nights per year. Claims adjuster wrote we can stay in a hotel. They gave us no specifics. It is very hard to know what we can and cannot do. Is the loss of use only paid out on an incurred basis. We wanted to just ask for a lump sum at a conservative rate of $20,300.00. Does it have to be on an incurred basis and do we just submit hotel expenses when we go somewhere. They do not explain it. We ask local office also.

About The Expert

Amy Bach

Amy Bach has been a professional advocate for insurance policyholders since 1984 and an attorney since 1989. She co-founded United Policyholders in 1991 and serves as the organization's Executive Director and primary spokesperson; shaping and overseeing the Roadmap to Recovery™, Roadmap to Preparedness, and Advocacy and Action programs. She is a nationally recognized expert on insurance claim and legal matters; frequently interviewed in print and broadcast media, and the author of numerous publications including "The Disaster Recovery Handbook", "WISE UP: The Savvy Consumer's Guide to Buying Insurance" and consumer tips and guides in the UP Claim Help Library.  Recognized by Money Magazine as a Money Hero, Bach is in her eighth consecutive term as an official consumer representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and is a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.