My friend has a rental property (house) in California. About 9 months ago, her tenant moved out, and she discovered that he had extensively damaged the house: holes cut in the ceiling and floors, carpets wrecked, etc. Her insurance adjuster came out and said they could not pay for what they called "hard living." She had to pay for all the repairs herself in order to re-rent the house. Do you think she might have a claim against her Insurer, and what steps should she take now?

About The Expert

Amy Bach

Amy Bach has been a professional advocate for insurance policyholders since 1984 and an attorney since 1989. She co-founded United Policyholders in 1991 and serves as the organization's Executive Director and primary spokesperson; shaping and overseeing the Roadmap to Recovery™, Roadmap to Preparedness, and Advocacy and Action programs. She is a nationally recognized expert on insurance claim and legal matters; frequently interviewed in print and broadcast media, and the author of numerous publications including "The Disaster Recovery Handbook", "WISE UP: The Savvy Consumer's Guide to Buying Insurance" and consumer tips and guides in the UP Claim Help Library.  Recognized by Money Magazine as a Money Hero, Bach is in her eighth consecutive term as an official consumer representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and is a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.