Hi, I am trying to find out definitively the following: My rental home was damaged in a fire. The adjuster called in immediately a structural engineer. He also paid him directly. Now when it comes time to pay for the damages, the adjuster deducted the engineers fees of $6k (I was extremely shocked it was that much) for the engineers assessment. My question is, isn't it the insurance company's responsibilty for the engineer fees, not part of my dwelling claim? The damages went over and above the coverage on the house btw. I appreciate your input, even if its where to look into this further, it just seems that my coverage is in place to make me whole, not for the insurance company to determine how much the damages are. Thank you in advance Nick

About The Expert

Amy Bach

Amy Bach has been a professional advocate for insurance policyholders since 1984 and an attorney since 1989. She co-founded United Policyholders in 1991 and serves as the organization's Executive Director and primary spokesperson; shaping and overseeing the Roadmap to Recovery™, Roadmap to Preparedness, and Advocacy and Action programs. She is a nationally recognized expert on insurance claim and legal matters; frequently interviewed in print and broadcast media, and the author of numerous publications including "The Disaster Recovery Handbook", "WISE UP: The Savvy Consumer's Guide to Buying Insurance" and consumer tips and guides in the UP Claim Help Library.  Recognized by Money Magazine as a Money Hero, Bach is in her eighth consecutive term as an official consumer representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and is a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.