Our home was destroyed in July, 2011 by a fire. The insurance agency determined it was a gas explosion. We have "replacement cost" insurance and even with the 125% additional payment towards the dwelling we are over $40K short of the actual cost to rebuild. Is there a way to collect that amount? Also, we live in WI and can find no attorneys listed on your site in this state. Do you have any other listings for attorneys or public adjusters? The insurance company has not been easy to deal with. When we asked for clarification of the term "equivalent dwelling" because we can't possibly rebuild an equivalent for $40K less...they had their attorney quote the policy and never did explain to us what we should do. Please help.

About The Expert

Amy Bach

Amy Bach has been a professional advocate for insurance policyholders since 1984 and an attorney since 1989. She co-founded United Policyholders in 1991 and serves as the organization's Executive Director and primary spokesperson; shaping and overseeing the Roadmap to Recovery™, Roadmap to Preparedness, and Advocacy and Action programs. She is a nationally recognized expert on insurance claim and legal matters; frequently interviewed in print and broadcast media, and the author of numerous publications including "The Disaster Recovery Handbook", "WISE UP: The Savvy Consumer's Guide to Buying Insurance" and consumer tips and guides in the UP Claim Help Library.  Recognized by Money Magazine as a Money Hero, Bach is in her eighth consecutive term as an official consumer representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and is a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.