"We have found the Disaster Recovery Handbook very informative and helpful in getting through the most traumatic experience in our lifetime"
2018 Carr Fire - Shasta and Trinity Counties
by United Policyholders
Through our Roadmap to Recovery program you will find tips, tools and resources relevant to the Carr Fire. Our main focus is on helping you navigate your insurance claim toward a full, fair and prompt settlement. We also offer guidance on debris removal, temporary living arrangements, government aid, construction issues, hiring professional help, and deciding how and if you will repair, rebuild or buy a replacement home.
updates will be posted here
If your home has been damaged or destroyed, we are very sorry. Please watch the First Steps After a Disaster video and make use of all the help our non-profit offers. That includes videos of our past Roadmap to Recovery workshops in other wildfire areas, a library of tips, samples and tools, guidance from past disaster survivors, and answers to individual questions from insurance claim and legal profession expert volunteers via our Ask an Expert forum.
If your home was spared but was exposed to extreme heat and smoke, we offer specialized guidance on insurance claim issues related to proper cleaning, inspecting for damage, restoring healthy indoor air quality and repairing obvious as well as hidden damage.
Here are some items to get you started putting one foot in front of the other on the road to recovery:
- Top Ten Insurance Claim Tips
- FAQs about Home Insurance Claims in California
- Insurance claim rules in California - English (Spanish)
- Survivors' Speak (tips written by previous catastrophe survivors)
- Sample Letter Requesting A Complete Copy of Your Home Insurance Policy
- Simplified Guide to Your Declarations Page
- ALE/Loss of Use: What expenses can you claim on your homeowner's policy?
- Sample Letter Requesting Information About Insurance Benefits for Temporary Living Expenses ("ALE" or "Loss of Use")
- Contents Claim Help and Home Inventory Strategies
- Speak UP: Tips for Communicating with your Insurance Company
- Buy or rebuild?
- Underinsurance 101
- Tax tips for disaster survivors
- Mobile home claim tips
For more information, visit our Claim Help Library by clicking the icon below:
Wildfire (Total Loss)
Claim Help Library
Claim Help Library
About The Blogger
United Policyholders is a non-profit organization that serves as a voice and an information resource for insurance consumers in all 50 States.