Through our Roadmap to Recovery program you will find tips, tools and resources relevant to the Kincade Fire. Our main focus is on helping you navigate the insurance claim and recovery process. We also offer guidance on debris removal, temporary living arrangements, government aid, construction issues, hiring professional help, and deciding how and if you will repair, rebuild or buy a replacement home.
Shortcuts to Helpful Resources:
If your home has been damaged or destroyed, we are very sorry. Please watch the First Steps After a Disaster video and make use of all the help our non-profit offers. That includes videos of our past Roadmap to Recovery workshops in other wildfire areas, a library of tips, samples and tools, and guidance from past disaster survivors.
If your home was spared but was exposed to extreme heat and smoke, please read our tips on Returning home after a wildfire: A post-evacuation checklist. We offer specialized guidance on insurance claim issues related to proper cleaning, inspecting for damage, restoring healthy indoor air quality and repairing obvious as well as hidden damage.
Here are some items to get you started putting one foot in front of the other on the road to recovery:
- Top Ten Insurance Claim Tips
- FAQs about Home Insurance Claims in California
- Survivors' Speak (tips written by previous catastrophe survivors)
- Sample Letter Requesting A Complete Copy of Your Home Insurance Policy
- Simplified Guide to Your Declarations Page
- ALE/Loss of Use: What expenses can you claim on your homeowner's policy?
- Sample Letter Requesting Information About Insurance Benefits for Temporary Living Expenses ("ALE" or "Loss of Use")
- Sample Letter Collecting Policy Benefits for Building Code Upgrades That Would be Required If You Rebuilt Your Damaged or Destroyed Dwelling
- Contents Claim Help and Home Inventory Strategies
- Speak UP: Tips for Communicating with your Insurance Company
- Buy or rebuild?
- Rebuilding after a wildfire
- Underinsurance 101
- Tax tips for disaster survivors
Additional Info and Resources:
For more information on this program, visit our Claim Help Library by clicking the icon below:
Wildfire (Total Loss)
Claim Help Library
Claim Help Library