Through our Roadmap to Recovery program you will find guidance and support relevant to the Woolsey Fire.
Take care of yourself and your family. Save all your reciepts for expenses due to losing the use of your home during evacuation and after, if your home is uninhabitable - they should be reimbursable under your "Additional Living Expense" Coverage.
Our main focus is on helping you navigate your insurance claim toward a full, fair and prompt settlement. We also offer guidance on debris removal, temporary living arrangements, government aid, construction issues, hiring professional help, and deciding how and if you will repair, rebuild or buy a replacement home.
Upcoming Roadmap to Recovery Workshops:
Navigating the "Dwelling" portion of your claim
Note: We are also planning a workshop in Thousand Oaks for the morning of Saturday, January 26th. Please check back for more details or email firstname.lastname@example.org to recieve email updates.
(please indicate that you want to recieve WOOLSEY email updates)
Please watch the First Steps After a Disaster video and make use of all the help our non-profit offers. That includes videos of our past Roadmap to Recovery workshops in other wildfire areas, a library of tips, samples and tools, guidance from past disaster survivors, and answers to individual questions from insurance claim and legal profession expert volunteers via our Ask an Expert forum.
If your home was spared but was exposed to extreme heat and smoke, we offer specialized guidance on insurance claim issues related to proper cleaning, inspecting for damage, restoring healthy indoor air quality and repairing obvious as well as hidden damage. If your home has been damaged or destroyed, we are very sorry.
General Woolsey fire recovery support events and info can be found here.
Here are some items to get you started putting one foot in front of the other on the road to recovery:
- Top Ten Insurance Claim Tips
- FAQs about Home Insurance Claims in California
- Insurance claim rules in California
- Survivors' Speak (tips written by previous catastrophe survivors)
- Sample Letter Requesting A Complete Copy of Your Home Insurance Policy
- Simplified Guide to Your Declarations Page
- ALE/Loss of Use: What expenses can you claim on your homeowner's policy?
- Sample Letter Requesting Information About Insurance Benefits for Temporary Living Expenses ("ALE" or "Loss of Use")
- Debris Removal Decisions
- Contents Claim Help and Home Inventory Strategies
- Speak UP: Tips for Communicating with your Insurance Company
- Buy or rebuild?
- Underinsurance 101
- Tax tips for disaster survivors
- Mobile home claim tips
California Department of Insurance Bulletin
(Expedited Claim Handling Billing Grace Period Procedures for California Wildfires)
- Disaster Legal Aid Hotline: 1-877-301-4448
For more information, visit our Claim Help Library by clicking the icon below:
Wildfire (Total Loss)
Claim Help Library
Claim Help Library
Previous Roadmap to Recovery Workshops:
Roadmap to Recovery Workshop #1: Insurance and Recovery Orientation
Saturday December 15th, 2018
This workshop will be offered in two locations:
Malibu Public Library
23519 West Civic Center Way, Malibu
Thousand Oaks: 3-5pm
Thousand Oaks Library – Marvin E. Smith Community Room
1401 E. Janss Road, Thousand Oaks